CHELSEA L. PEDERSON
email@example.com / 707-328-9818 / 4600 Rickenbacker causeway, Miami, FL, 33149
- Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami, Department of Marine Geology and Geophysics; Miami, FL. Ph.D. student, 2012-current.
- Dissertation; “Geomicrobiology, Early Burial, and Diagenesis of Subtropical Freshwater Microbial Mud”
- University of Miami; Coral Gables, FL. Bachelor of Science, dual major in Biology and Marine Science, and Chemistry minor. 2007-2011
- Senior Thesis; “Reef Succession and Dynamics in Correspondence to Climate and Sea Level Changes During the Pleistocene in the Dominican Republic”
- ExxonMobil Exploration Company; South America New Opportunities Group. Supervisors: Deanna Tavernier and Linda Price. Houston, TX. Geoscience intern, 2015
- Conducted a source rock audit for the southern South Atlantic conjugate margins
- Data mining, database compilation/organization, source rock analysis, ArcGIS mapping of relevant data, and paleoreconstructions
ADDITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences; Marine Geology; Pleistocene Reef Systems. Dr. Donald McNeill and Dr. James Klaus, Coral Gables, Florida. Undergraduate research assistant, 2010-2012
- Field and laboratory research in the Dominican Republic: Core borings through fossil reef sequences, and logging and analyzing reef cores and outcrops
- Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology; Marine Acoustics. Dr. Marc Lammers, University of Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, Oahu. Undergraduate intern, summer 2010
- Passive acoustic monitoring; analyzing and logging biological activity
2016 Pederson, Chelsea L., Klaus, James S., Swart, Peter K., McNeill, Donald F. “Geomicrobiology and Deposition of Freshwater Mud Deposits on the Southern Peninsula of Florida.” In preparation.
Pederson, Chelsea L., Klaus, James S., Swart, Peter K., McNeill, Donald F. “Diagenesis and Textural Characterization of Carbonate Mud Deposits Through Various Stages of Early Burial in the Florida Everglades.” In preparation.
Pederson, Chelsea L., Klaus, James S., Swart, Peter K., McNeill, Donald F. “A Comparison of Microbial Indicator Features from the Holocene and Pleistocene Mudstones: Impact of diagenesis on Microbial Features.” In preparation.
2015 Pederson, Chelsea L., Klaus, James S., McNeill, Donald F., Swart, Peter K. "Deposition and Diagenesis of Marine Oncoids: Implications for Development of Carbonate Porosity.” Journal of Sedimentary Research 85.11 (2015): 1323-1333.
ABSTRACTS AND PRESENTATIONS
2016 Pederson, Chelsea L., Klaus, James S., McNeill, Donald F., Swart, Peter K. “Freshwater Microbial Mud in the Florida Everglades: Insight to Preservation Potential of Key Geochemical and Textural Signatures During Early Burial.” International Association of Sedimentology; Annual meeting (2016), Marrakech, Morocco.
2015 Pederson, Chelsea L., Klaus, James S., McNeill, Donald F., Swart, Peter K. “Geochemical and Textural Comparison of Modern and Ancient Freshwater Microbial Mud: A Direct Calibration in the Florida Everglades”. American Geophysical Union; Annual meeting (2015), San Francisco, California.
2014 Pederson, Chelsea L., Klaus, James S., McNeill, Donald F., Swart, Peter K. “Origin and Diagenesis of Microbial Oncolites”. SEPM Carbonate Research Session; American Association of Petroleum Geology Annual meeting (2014), Houston, Texas.
2012 Pederson, Chelsea L., Klaus, James S., McNeill, Donald F., Swart, Peter K. “Composition, Distribution, and Diagenesis of Microbial Oncolite Beds Capping the Uplifted Atoll of Maré, Loyalty Islands, New Caledonia.” American Association of Petroleum Geology; Microbial Carbonate Reservoir Characterization, Hedberg Conference (2012), Houston, Texas.
- Outcrop, core, and textural characterization of sediments and organics
- Grain size analysis
- Light and scanning electron microscopy (SEM); Philips XL-30 environmental SEM
- Mineralogy via Panalytical X-Ray defraction methods
- Inorganic δ13C and δ18O stable isotope analysis via a Kiel III automated device interfaced with a Thermo-Finnigan Delta Plus mass spectrometer
- Organic content composition and isotopic signatures (δ13C and δ15N) using Dumas type combustion on a Costech EA ECS 4010 and a continuous flow isotope-ratio mass spectrometer (Thermo Delta V Advantage)
- Elemental analysis via a Varian Vista Pro axial ICP-OES
- Dissolved inorganic carbon and oxygen isotopes using a gas bench coupled with a continuous flow isotope-ratio mass spectrometer (Thermo Delta V Advantage)
- Microbial community fixation, dehydration and imaging of modern and calcified microbial structures using environmental SEM
- Exopolymeric substance quantification using a phenol-sulfuric acid method
- DNA extraction via a FastDNA spin kit for Soil
- DNA amplification using polymerase chain reaction using a Mastercycler gradient thermocycler (Eppendorf)
- DNA imaging using multicapillary gel electrophoresis on a model 3130xl capillary sequencer
- Analysis of sequenced DNA data from Illumina TruSeq analysis
2015 Eleuthera, Bahamas. CSL field course. Lateral and vertical heterogeneity of carbonate facies in platform margin complexes
2014 Houston, TX. AAPG field trip. Quaternary Depositional Systems of the East Texas Coast and Shelf: Analogs for Ancient Deposits
Houston, TX. Sequence Stratigraphy short course by SEPM and ExxonMobil
2012 Darby Island, Bahamas. Microbialite analysis within the Exumas, Bahamas. Stromatolite and salt pond sampling, analysis of microbial structures and processes
Death Valley, CA. Field course. Late Cambrian and Cambrian Microbial Carbonates
2011 Bimini, Bahamas. Marine ecology field work looking at diversity and competition
Dominican Republic Drilling Project. Drilling on various island terraces. Outcrop analysis of stratigraphy and coralline deposits
GRANTS AND AWARDS
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Gustavus Archie Grant recipient – 2014
- ExxonMobil Global Geoscience Grant recipient – 2014
- International Association of Sedimentology Post Graduate Grant recipient – 2013
- Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Grant recipient – 2013
- Piccou Fellowship recipient, Gulf Coast SEPM – 2013
- SEPM Foundation Award recipient – 2013
LEADERSHIP AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Teaching assistant for undergraduate Geology at the University of Miami (2012-2013)
- Field trip and secretary for the University of Miami Hurricanes American Association of Petroleum Geologists student chapter (2012)
- Tutoring of student athletes at the University of Miami (2008-2011)
- University of Miami Women’s Varsity Soccer and NCAA Scholar Athlete
- PADI scuba certified diver
- Yoga alliance certified instructor
- Habitat for Humanity and special needs classroom volunteer